The advanced course in piano has a minimum duration of three years.
The teacher and the student will together decide on the repertoire for the course, the student’s participation in competitions and concerts, and the scheduling of their Accademia exams.
The annual study pathway will include:
- a programme of recitals, from Bach to contemporary composers
- one concerto for piano and orchestra, from Mozart to the 20th century
- supplementary studies based on the needs of the individual student.
The student is entitled to two lessons per month, for eight months, from October to May.
At the end of the course each student will take an exam to assess whether they can be awarded a Diploma or Master’s Diploma. Students who achieve a Master’s Diploma are then eligible to apply for a scholarship for the following academic year.
To apply for admission candidates must be no older than 30, in possession of a Conservatorio Diploma (old system), a Level 1 or Level 2 degree or equivalent qualification from a country other than Italy. The commission reserves the right to accept any student who shows exceptional talent, even though they do not meet the above-mentioned requirements.
Applications must reach our offices by 31 May 2020.
Entrance exams will be held on 22 and 23 June 2020.
Candidates who apply for admission are responsible for keeping themselves informed about the date and time of the auditions, which will be held at the Accademia in Pinerolo.
The entrance exam will consist of the performance of a programme that includes:
- the first movement of a sonata (from Beethoven to Mozart)
- an étude (Chopin, Liszt, Debussy, Skriabin, etc.)
- a piece by a Romantic composer
Candidates may express a preference regarding the Accademia teacher they would like to study with. On your enrolment form you must give the names of at least two teachers in order of preference.
After the student has passed the entrance exam, the Directors of Studies (consisting of all the Accademia’s piano teachers) will decide on the most effective study pathway for the individual student, including the specific organisation of the lessons in the Accademia, which may be taught by one or more than one teacher.
Payments of enrolment and tuition fees must be made by bank transfer on the following bank account details:
Bank: INTESA SAN PAOLO
Account held to: ACCADEMIA DI MUSICA ONLUS
address: PIAZZA SAN DONATO 37 – PINEROLO
For students concurrently enrolled in the course of piano for contemporary music at the Accademia di Musica di Pinerolo, enrolment is free and there is a discount of € 100.00 on the annual tuition fees.
This course is driven by the needs and personality of the individual student, who is accompanied by the teacher on a learning pathway of discovery and growth. This process involves work on some aspects of execution:
- Exercises to consolidate technique and strengthen the hands, as well as raising awareness of the use of the body (from relaxation, to using the weight of the arm, to learning how to involve the back, etc);
- Special attention to listening, to working on the search for sound in which it is the ear that guides the hand;
- Analysis of the score to find guidance for expression, beginning from objective elements such as harmony, costruction of the musical phrase, form, etc.
The repertoire, which attempts to cover every historical period, is chosen together with the teacher, and is based on the student’s preferences and needs: exams or concerts and competitions they must prepare for, or pieces that could help to deal with new features of repertoire or execution. If the student so wishes, where it is possible, they are encouraged to find opportunities to have their playing assessed, either by other teachers or by taking part in competitions.